make it rain on them jars!
2. Barbasol Original Shaving cream – $1.00 at DollarTree
3. Glass pint jar mugs $1.00 at DollarTree
4. McCormick Specialty Extracts Assorted Food Color and Egg Dye- $3.48 at Walmart. We used blue but you can use any color you want your ‘rain’ to be. ( I’ve also read watercolors work just as well but we did not try them)
5. Super Dropper (2 pack so you can allow two children to conduct the experiment at once)-$4.42 at Walmart.
Total cost of this experiment: $9.90
Okay, got what I need, now how do I do it?
1. Fill the jar with water and top it with shaving cream. Allow the shaving cream a minute or so to settle on top of water before beginning.
2. In a separate regular standard kitchen drinking glass fill it with water, deposit the blue food coloring into it and mix it well.
3. Have the children suction up the blue dyed water with their droppers and deposit it into the top of the shaving cream.
4. Watch the blue dye travel through the shaving cream and begin to “rain” inside the jar.
5. Pat yourself on the back when you see the looks of amazement on the kids’ faces!
Have you done this experiment? Did you use watercolors instead? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts on this cool kids experiment, I love hearing from you!
Love you. Mean it.